Sunday, April 18, 2010

Bust.....

Our reconnaissance party made it to Barcelona this morning by plane before they closed Barcelona and Palma airspace. Two have got a coach to Toulouse, two were waiting to see if the OU solution or shellfish lorry are viable options. Airspace is open again though, but subject to change.

OU are definitely looking into the minibus option, but none of the companies are open on a Sunday so we can't proceed with that yet. No ferries to Barcelona until next weekend, so that's out. We can get to Valencia by ferry any day (once a day), but they wont book the tickets until they know the buses are coming. I just hope they don't book up. If it was my call I would book it. Besides, Valencia wasn't on my existing list of 3 zillion european cities I would be visiting this year!!

Can someone (i.e. Andy) ring for me the following companies:
Spanish Rail (this is a london office)

And find out the best (and available) ways to get to Calais from Valencia.

Spanish government have said they will be putting more ships on though in order to get people off the Balearics. I am somewhat alarmed to hear that Spain might be used as a hub to get people home from elsewhere, since Spain is under severe pressure already. Just heard the Royal Navy may be drafted in - I might wonder why its taken 4 days to formulate that idea.

In other news, we went and packed up the observatory this morning then went for lunch. We came back and I heard Mack the Knife on the tanoy in the hotel foyer so used the opportunity to practise for the show (still working on the assumption I'll get there - Abigail won't as she's stranded in spain too with rescue only coming on Saturday, so our troupe is already down by 1).

I have had a really bad tummy since yesterday afternoon, and I've been asleep all afternoon today. The others have gone out for dinner, but I couldn't face it. I hope I'm better tomorrow as I'm starting to feel a bit miserable. The combination of dodgy tummy, dirty clothes, potentially missing the show and crap spanish food is the downside to this adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Dad on return from Church18 April 2010 at 23:48

    We saw something like this on tv. I think it was called The Great Escape!!!!!

    ReplyDelete